Saturday, January 07, 2006

Mad Shredding

I finally made it up the mountain today to do a little bit of snowboarding. Jeff and I battled the I-70 traffic to make it up to Copper on what turned out to be a beautiful day. The crowds were out en masse but riding the top and back of the mountain and hitting up the singles lines kept us from spending too much time waiting in line. Snowboarding is one of the few things that I will drag myself out of bed pre-sunrise for. Whether its cruising powder through the trees, the rush of dropping off into the copper bowl, or hitting sweet jumps in the kiddie terrain park because I am too chicken to hit the real ones, I can think of no better way to spend a Saturday. Anyway, that’s one day down, and at least seven more to go.

On the way up the mountain we listened to a CD by Derek Webb (of Caedmons Call) called The House Show. This guy is an incredible songwriter and between songs he spends time explaining his thoughts behind the song. One thing he talked about that really struck me was the fact that Christians today are living in fear of being exposed. We are crippled and made ineffective by the sin in our lives that we are so ashamed of we will go to no end to keep it hidden. It’s crazy, because I know how true this has been in my own life. What’s been amazing for me though is to find out that when I allow myself to be transparent before others, I quickly learn that I am not the only one that struggles, and that opens up accountability lines and allows me to pray for others and be prayed for. If we could battle for each other because we really knew each other, I think God could use that in incredible ways in our lives, our churches, and our world.

3 Comments:

At January 10, 2006 12:09 PM, Blogger Jaclyn said...

I have been wanting to get a Derek Webb CD ever since he left Caedmon's. Would you mind brining The House Show on Sunday so I could listen to it? My friend Jake has recommended "She Must and Shall Go Free." Do you have that one?

I think you are exactly right when you say that God would use us in incredible ways if we battled FOR each other. Instead, we seem to spend more time fighting against one another. It is no wonder so many feel defeated, confused about the Christian life and try to hide their sins. If we would just humble ourselves before one another and build others up, the church and the nation and the world would be a different place!

Thank for your thoughts! Let me know about the CD(s)!

 
At January 11, 2006 3:47 PM, Blogger Vince said...

I agree with you Jaclyn!
I think defeated is such a great way to describe the state of a lot of christians today. Its the defeat we feel of trying to bear the burden alone. God is the one who changes hearts but he uses the people around us in intrumental ways. It requires vulnerability though and thats the part we have a hard time getting around. We don't like to appear weak and we don't want to feel judged. What we don't think about is that the true sign of our weakness is our inability to be honest. It all boils down to humility, and I feel like a hypocryte even writing this ...

 
At January 18, 2006 5:55 PM, Blogger BenZ said...

Completely and totally jealous! I am desperately in need of going skiing or sledding or snow bank diving! The youth group at CRBC is going skiing and maybe sledding you and I'll have to tag along sometime!

Peace out!
BenZ

 

Post a Comment

<< Home