Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Where did it go?

Wow, I cannot believe it is already june. It amazes me how the older I get the quicker time seems to fly by. When I was a kid it seemed like everything was in slow motion, with year after year lazily dragging by. Now its like I can hardly blink without a month flying by. We live in such a fast paced society that has taught us that no matter where you are at in life, you could always be somewhere better. We tend to spend so much time focusing on the future that we forget to enjoy the moment that we have been given. For me, whether its the weekend, or next payday, or vactions, or whatever, I tend to get buried in what I have coming up. None of those things are bad things and there is dfinitely not anything wrong with planning ahead, I just need to learn to take life one day at a time and enjoy what God has given me now. I love the book of Ecclesiates. Solomon was a man that understood life. He had everything; wealth, stature, and wisdom, but also understood that they were meaningless in themselves.

2:10-11
I denied myself nothing me eyes desired. I refused my heart no pleasure. My heart too delight in all my work, and this was the reward for all my labor. Yet when I surveyed all my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun.


3:12-13
I know that there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live. That everyone may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all his toil—this is the gift of God.


I need to learn to find satisfaction in what God has given me today. Its not always easy see the joy in whatever circumstances I am in, but I know it will be hard to look back and wonder where the time went when my satisfaction is found not in whats happening around me but in the God who has placed me where I am.

3 Comments:

At June 07, 2006 9:55 AM, Blogger Jaclyn said...

So good to see you posting again! God has been teaching me a lot of the same things lately. It IS amazing how fast time flies. I am learning how important it is to treasure every moment and live life without regrets- because once time is gone, it is gone... I want to live my life in such a way that I honor God with every moment and leave a legacy that points to Him.

Blessings, brother!

 
At June 12, 2006 10:11 AM, Blogger jeff said...

welcome back. glad you're blogging, I always enjoy your thoughts. Don't sell yourself short on the toil of your hands the turf in the back is...in NapD's voice, "incredible."

 
At June 16, 2006 11:06 AM, Blogger BenZ said...

It is a joy to see you've rejoined the blogging world after such a prolonged silence! Great thoughts though man! I've been reading good ol CS (Jack) Lewis and he was talking about how we try to recreate pleasures over and over again without being content with the actual pleasure itself. Why should we desire and run after pleasures so wholeheartedly? Doesn't that take away the pleasure and satisfaction of the pleasure itself?!

Welcome Back Vinny!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home